Brooks Global Gameboard Goes Local

This project involved taking existing art -- in this case, an awesome gameboard -- and quickly revising it to be city specific rather than global in nature.

To be clear, I did not design the original gameboard. I wish I had. I had to strip out the global landmarks and reduce the art to a colorful band and shoe. The big trick here was mimicking the original art style and turning it quickly. I did so handily.

One of my colleagues set upon creating vector art for each of the five boroughs of New York City. I decided, under my own power and without being tasked, to try an experiment. I would grab a bunch of basic free 3D models online, alter them, and use them as a skeleton for vector and raster artwork to match the hand-painted style.

I projected an image of the gameboard in to the background of a Cinema 4D file. This permitted me to get the proper angle and perspective for the city elements as well as bounce some reflections of the board off of the models.

 

From there, I made adjustments to the models; adjusting textures, adding or subtracting parts, reskinning, fitting, bending, warping, etc. 

Then came the tricky part.


I output a raster file of just the city elements. From there, I would drag files in and out of Illustrator and Photoshop. I posterized art in Illustrator with LiveTrace. I tweaked vector files and smoothed out lines. I drug the files into Photoshop and used the HDR filter to pump up the vibrance and grittiness.

I polished the artwork until it meshed with the original design. Next came picking a font to to speak to the motif. Following that, the art was broken into separate elements and adapted for a window display (layout and mechanicals created by the excellent Design department at Photocraft after a hand-off).

This project was a great example of my ability to improvise, work quickly and go outside of my usual design style.